History and visit the Church of Saint-Germain-de-Charonne in Paris
The church of Saint-Germain-de-Charonne church is a medieval style that is located in Paris’s 20th arrondissement, a few minutes walk from the metro station Porte de Bagnolet. It was built in the twelfth century in the village of Charonne to replace a small chapel built by the inhabitants.
Historically, it was in this village that Germain met and blessed Geneviève de Nanterre in 429 AD. Aged 6 years old at the time, it was granted the status of holy following two separate events. First, she convinced the King Franc pagan Clovis to convert to Christianity and to make this religion a state religion. Second, it has been recognized for organizing the provisions of the Parisians when they were besieged by Attila the Hun and the same time, it repulsed the enemy and his troops with his divine powers. Although this statement is the subject of controversy, the fact remains that the village Charonne gained in size and importance and led to the construction of the church in the twelfth and thirteenth century.
Despite several renovations over the last 800 years, Saint-Germain-de-Charonne church retains its rustic and romantic. Passing through a neo-classical entrance, columns reminiscent of the Middle Ages with all grounds of the time are clearly visible in the first two bays under the bell tower. From a general point of view, the atmosphere is rural, but the place has now become a fashionable and pretty rough part of Paris, something that only arrived since 1860. Charonne fewer than 600 inhabitants in 1800.
Outside the church, there is a cemetery. The cemetery with the Saint-Pierre in Montmartre is one of the last related to the tombs at the same church in the city of Paris. Unlike the Romans warned, Parisians Middle Ages buried their dead loved ones close parish churches, in shallow graves, which did not prevent the spread of epidemics and the stench. Among the graves in the cemetery of the church of Saint-Germain-de-Charonne, we can see that of Francis Begue, also called Magloire. This tomb has a life size statue in ornate cast iron, a solid representation of an old man (he was 87 years old) with his cane in his left hand and a rose in the right. Born in 1750, he was a comedian street and traditional chiropractor. He claimed to be the personal secretary of Robespierre during the French Revolution, but it seems that this is not the case, then the plate on his tomb was removed.
The doors of the church are facing the Rue St. Blaize was once the main road of the village. Access to part of the road was blocked to motorists. One can easily imagine as a small village with a coffee or a meal around the church of Saint-Germain-de-Charonne. The road on which the church is home to two dinner theaters, La Flèche d’Or and the Condor. The Golden Arrow is an artistic and community coffee with lively music. The Condor has taken place previously occupied by another coffee, The Abadidon. Not far from the church of Saint-Germain-de-Charonne is the flag of the Hermitage and the gardens of the Château de Bagnolet remain, acquisition of the Duchess of Orleans in the 18th century. Testimony to the history of the village, Saint-Germain-de-Charonne church is a place of worship is a place where past and present meet.
Transfer to the Church of Saint-Germain-de-Charonne in Paris
The Church of Saint-Germain-de-Charonne is located 39.4 kilometers from Orly Airport, 62.4 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport and 117 km from the airport of Beauvais.