History and tour of the Sorbonne in Paris
The Sorbonne is located in the Latin Quarter in the 5th arrondissement of Paris. This monument consists of three buildings, the first being built in the thirteenth century, the second in the seventeenth century and the last in the nineteenth century. The founder of the College of the Sorbonne, Robert de Sorbon was the origin of his name. Head of Chancery of the universities of Paris, the Sorbonne university hosts some activities of 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th arrondissements of Paris and those of two other major schools. Its library is open to the different universities. February 10, 1887, the chapel of the Sorbonne was ranked among the historical monuments. The Grand Theatre and all the buildings were the same as from 30 September 1975.
Historically, the Sorbonne was originally a college dedicated to the study of theology. Robert de Sorbon built it in 1253 in the grounds of the University of Paris. The college could accommodate at the time that twenty students. The lack of local King led St. Louis to offer a few houses, institutions within the Street Coupe-Gueule to install them. With the help of Guillaume de Chartres, Robert de Sorbon was able to acquire all around this street to enlarge the college. In the fourteenth century, the institution endowed a chapel. Three centuries later, the street was named rue de la Sorbonne in honor of the college became a patchwork of buildings, winning considerably in the street. In 1622, Cardinal Richelieu Cardinal Harley succeeded to the post of Principal of the College of Sorbonne. He decided to undertake the renovation of buildings that were found in a state of disrepair. The architect Jacques Lemercier adopted a classic style to rebuild the complex. Work began in 1635. Most of the buildings were demolished except for the chapel. In 1642, after the death of Cardinal Richelieu, the main work was almost completed. The heiress of the cardinal, the Duchess of Aiguillon took over the direction of completion. Expanded, the college inherited a part of the fortune and the library of Cardinal. The institution underwent changes during the French Revolution. Closed to students, Napoleon Bonaparte made artists’ studios. The chapel on it became a temple of the Goddess of Reason in 1794.
In the nineteenth century, the Sorbonne was established five types of schools following the reorganization of the French education system, established by Napoleon. It housed the faculties of theology, medicine, sciences, humanities and law school. Some time later, she served as a member of the Rector of the Academy of Paris. In 1880, the architect Henri Paul Nénot won the competition to the reconstruction project site. Nénot was again demolish the buildings in 1884 with the exception of the chapel. The demolition took alone ten years. The complex was completed in 1901. The Sorbonne has been the bastion of some student demonstrations such as the riot of 1968, the events of 2006 or those of 2009. Belonging to the city of Paris, the complex is in principle open to students and teaching staff of different institutions within it. However, the group visits are organized for the general public, an opportunity not to be missed.
Taxi and Shuttle transfer to the Sorbonne in Paris
The Sorbonne is located 16.2 kilometers from Orly Airport, 33.3 km from Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport and 88.8 km from the airport of Beauvais.